Bighorn River Fly Fishing Reports
Bighorn Fishing Report 11/4/2020
The fishing on the Bighorn has been decent. Most fish are being caught subsurface with nymphing setups. Scuds/sowbugs, worms, and midges have been the best so far. Orange and pink are good colors to use when fishing this river. Streamers can also be productive on days providing favorable conditions. There should be some Baetis hatching, providing opportunities for some dry fly eats.
COVID 19 COMMUNICATIONS – Oct. 29, 2020
- Store capacity is limited to 5 guests
- Face coverings are mandatory – we have them available if needed.
- Respect social distancing and use provided hand sanitizer.
- We will be closed on Sundays, starting Nov. 8
- Order online and select Pickup at checkout for curbside service
- Call us at 406-586-2188 to place your order over the phone for curbside service.
- Book a time for private shopping.
- Buy Flies online and save 20% (enter FLIES_20 at checkout in the Discount Code field)
Keep in mind you can shop all of our flies in our online store for both shipping and curbside pickup.
- Purchase fishing licenses online at fwp.mt.gov (we are now selling licenses as well, but ask that you try online first)
The Bighorn has been fishing well this last week. Nymphing has been the best method to catch fish but a few fish have been tricked with midge dries and streamers. Nymphing with sowbugs/scuds and midges have been the most effective. The dry fly action has potential but just needs some relatively calm conditions for fish to start looking up. Streamer fishing has been effective dredging the bottom of big deep holes with darker flies and a sink tip.
Recommended Guided Trips
Looking for a quick introduction to fly fishing or only have a few hours to get out on the water with one of our fly fishing guides? A half-day float on the lower Madison is likely to be the perfect choice.
- Half-Day Trips Are 3-4 Hours in Duration
- 1-2 Anglers Maximum Per Guide/Boat
- Half-Day Float Trips On The Lower Madison River Only
- Ideal For Families With Small Children (6+ Years Old)
- Fishing Licenses and Gratuities Are Not Included
- Tackle and Drinks are Include
- Waders and Boots are available for rent ($25 per person) or purchase - we recommend bringing your own or pack light rain pants if the forecast calls for rain as we rarely need waders during the guide season.
Fins & Feathers of Bozeman’s Montana fly fishing packages offer convenience and value by bundling our guided services together with lodging options in Bozeman. Check out the example pricing - based on double occupancy in the rooms and with one of our Bozeman fly fishing guides. Email us or fill out our contact form to make a reservation and confirm availability.
Please note that availability is extremely limited during the summer, we strongly encourage you to make reservations sooner, rather than later. Our deposit policy is the "friendliest in the industry" in that we don't require payment ($1.00) at booking and all reservations can be cancelled - with no penalty up to 10 days prior to your scheduled arrival date.
These rates are guaranteed until June 1, 2022 and are likely to increase as availability decreases in both rooms and our guides fly fishing servicesLearn More