Bighorn River Fly Fishing Reports
Bighorn Fishing Report 12/18/2020
The Bighorn River has been fishing pretty darn well. Streamer fishing continues to be productive in the slower deeper pool with coneheads and the fish should be pretty deep so letting it sink for a few seconds should help you get hooked up. Nymphing with midges, sowbugs, and worms should yield some fish as well. If not I would try either an orange or a chartreuse egg. concentrate on slower deeper water and make sure your flies are getting close to the bottom. Watch out for spawning browns on reds and steer clear and let them do their thing!
Have you heard about the Patagonia Upcycled Wader Program?
In store Holiday Specials this week only, stop by to browse great deals!
COVID 19 COMMUNICATIONS – Nov. 22, 2020
- Store capacity is limited to 5 guests
- Face coverings are mandatory – we have them available if needed.
- Respect social distancing and use provided hand sanitizer.
- In-store license sales are temporarily suspended (buy online at fwp.mt.gov)
- Order online (select pickup at checkout) or over the phone for Curbside Service
- Private shopping is available in 30 minute time-slots, book online for free.
- Buy Flies online and save 20% (enter code "FLIES_20" at checkout in the Discount Code field)
The Bighorn has been fishing well this last week. Nymphing has been the best method to catch fish but a few fish have been tricked with midge dries and streamers. Nymphing with sowbugs/scuds and midges have been the most effective. The dry fly action has potential but just needs some relatively calm conditions for fish to start looking up. Streamer fishing has been effective dredging the bottom of big deep holes with darker flies and a sink tip.
Recommended Guided Trips
Looking for a quick introduction to fly fishing or only have a few hours to get out on the water with one of our fly fishing guides? A half-day float on the lower Madison is likely to be the perfect choice.
- Half-Day Trips Are 3-4 Hours in Duration
- 1-2 Anglers Maximum Per Guide/Boat
- Half-Day Float Trips On The Lower Madison River Only
- Ideal For Families With Small Children (6+ Years Old)
- Fishing Licenses and Gratuities Are Not Included
- Tackle and Drinks are Include
- Waders and Boots are available for rent ($25 per person) or purchase - we recommend bringing your own or pack light rain pants if the forecast calls for rain as we rarely need waders during the guide season.
Fins & Feathers of Bozeman’s Montana fly fishing packages offer convenience and value by bundling our guided services together with lodging options in Bozeman. Check out the example pricing - based on double occupancy in the rooms and with one of our Bozeman fly fishing guides. Email us or fill out our contact form to make a reservation and confirm availability.
Please note that availability is extremely limited during the summer, we strongly encourage you to make reservations sooner, rather than later. Our deposit policy is the "friendliest in the industry" in that we don't require payment ($1.00) at booking and all reservations can be cancelled - with no penalty up to 10 days prior to your scheduled arrival date.
These rates are guaranteed until June 1, 2022 and are likely to increase as availability decreases in both rooms and our guides fly fishing servicesLearn More