Lower Madison Fly Fishing Reports
Lower Madison Fishing Report 7/16/2020
The lower Madison is on hoot owl from Warm Springs FAS to the headwaters until August 15th from 2pm - 12am. This means that fishing will have to be done in the morning. If you do head out early, I would make sure to have PMDs, caddis, and Yellow Sallies. Fish these in dries and nymphs. Crayfish are still picking up fish with a scud below and for streamer fishing small black imitations.
COVID 19 COMMUNICATIONS – July 10, 2020
- Store capacity is limited to 5 guests
- We are not selling fishing licenses at this time (go to fwp.mt.gov and buy online)
- Face coverings are mandatory – we have them available if needed
- Respect social distancing and use provided hand sanitizer
- Order online and select Pickup at checkout for curbside service
- Call us at 406-586-2188 to place your order over the phone
- Book a time for private shopping
- Buy Flies online and save 20% (enter FLIES_20 at checkout)
Keep in mind you can shop all of our flies in our online store for both shipping and curbside pickup. You can also order hand-picked fly selections for the lower Madison River before you head out and we'll have them ready for you to pick up!
The lower should be on fire this week with consistent warm temps all week. Nymphing a light bodied crayfish, worms, pink sowbugs/scuds, baetis nymphs, and zebra midges will still be the most consistent option. Should be some increased dry fly activity over the next few weeks with midges and BWOs possibly March Browns soon. Streamer fishing should also heat up with warm weather, I would try a unweighted jj special, or some sort of smaller black or olive streamers.
Recommended Guided Trips
Fins & Feathers of Bozeman’s Montana fly fishing packages offer convenience and value by bundling our guided services together with lodging options in Bozeman. Check out the example pricing - based on double occupancy in the rooms and with one of our Bozeman fly fishing guides. Email us or fill out our contact form to make a reservation and confirm availability.
Please note that availability is extremely limited during the summer, we strongly encourage you to make reservations sooner, rather than later. Our deposit policy is the "friendliest in the industry" in that we don't require payment ($1.00) at booking and all reservations can be cancelled - with no penalty up to 10 days prior to your scheduled arrival date.
These rates are guaranteed until June 1, 2022 and are likely to increase as availability decreases in both rooms and our guides fly fishing servicesLearn More
Full Day guided fly-fishing trips are our standard offering and offer the best opportunity to truly get out and experience the fly-fishing opportunities around Bozeman that attract anglers from around the world
- Typical Full Day Trips Are 6-8 Hours in Duration
- 1-2 Anglers Maximum Per Guide/Boat
- Full Day Trips Are Generally Float Trips
- Full Day Trips Available on Yellowstone, Madison, Gallatin, and Jefferson rivers
- Drive Time Is Typically 30-60 Minutes Each Way
- Fishing Licenses and Gratuities Are Not Included
Fishing Licenses and Shuttle Info
For Shuttles on the Lower Madison Contact:
Lower Madison River Overview
The lower Madison River is considered to be the Madison River from below Ennis Lake, downstream to the headwaters of the Missouri River. This section of the Madison flows through the Beartrap Wilderness Area in a narrow gorge characterized by some serious whitewater and difficult access. Once the river leaves the Beartrap Canyon, the river dramatically changes character, becoming wider with a seemingly gentle flow all the way to Three Forks, where it joins the Jefferson River and Gallatin River to form the Missouri River.