More Fishing Restricions Implemented
With low flows and the hot weather forecast FWP has put several rivers on Hoot Owl restrictions to help preserve our fisheries throughout Montana.
Added Closures & Hoot Owl
- Beaverhead River hoot owl restrictions from the mouth to Laknar Lane Bridge;
- Smith River hoot owl restrictions from the confluence of the North and South Fork of the Smith River to Eden Bridge south of Great Falls;
- Shields River full fishing closure from the mouth to Rock Creek;
- Lower Big Hole River hoot owl restrictions from the confluence with the Beaverhead River to Notch Bottom FAS;
- Upper Big Hole River full fishing closure from Saginaw Bridge on Skinner Meadow Road to the North Fork Big Hole River;
- Jefferson River entire river hoot owl restrictions;
- Sun River hoot owl restrictions from the mouth of Muddy Creek to the Highway 287 Bridge.
Consider Fishing cooler waters or resevoirs when the water is low and hot to help preserve Montana fish populations in all of our favorite rivers! Anglers can fish barbless hooks, use nets, and keep fish in the water when they are caught to reduce further stressing trout.
All of the closures and restrictions can be found on Montana FWP's waebsite below.