Western Trout School Open For Registration
There is nowhere better to learn how to fly fish than the premier fly fishing destination in the lower 48, Bozeman Montana. Now, you can get a detailed lesson on all of the intricacies of western fly fishing by taking the Fins & Feathers 2-day Western trout school!
Western Trout School
- Class size limited to 8 participants per session.
- Classroom venue varies based on time of year, generally near Bozeman with lodging options available on-site.
- All gear is included during the course, participants will need to provide the basics like weather-appropriate clothing, polarized sunglasses, hats, and a small pack for personal items.
- Lunches and non-alcoholic drinks are included both days.
- Cost is $650 per student, minimum class size 4 and max size is 8 students
- Payment in full due upon registration, fully refundable with 90 days cancellation or if we are able to fill cancellations with new reservations.
- Fishing licenses and gratuities for instructors and guides are not included.
located in Bozeman, the Fins & Feathers trout schools are an ideal
choice for a western fly-fishing education experience. The Western Trout
School program is a two-day course focused on the fundamentals of the
sport, combining both classroom and on-the-water sessions. Fins & Feathers
has been teaching people how to fly-fish in Bozeman for 20 years and we
are excited to offer this option as the most complete 2-Day Fly Fishing
School in Montana.
This truly “immersive” experience covers the basics of the sport while also giving firsthand experience to students on a Montana river for a full day of instructional, guided fly-fishing. Classroom activities include basic entomology, knot -tying, an overview of essential gear, and thorough casting experience. We jump in the drift boats on day two with our instructors and fly-fishing guides to put everything we cover into action. Our goal is to introduce our students to the essential elements of fly-fishing for trout so that they will be able to find success on their own wherever their angling pursuits take them
The Fins & Feathers Western Trout School is offered at select times throughout the year in Bozeman, Montana. Day one is a combination of classroom and “dry-land” casting techniques to prepare students for success on the water. On-the-water days are on either the Madison or Yellowstone rivers with topics that cover a wide range of tactics while fishing alongside out team of instructors/guides. Our program is unique in that it offers a comprehensive introduction combined with the opportunity to apply those lessons on a Montana river with a professional instructor at your side for an entire day.
To learn more to reserve a spot in the Western Trout
School at Fins & Feathers, simply email our Outreach Director and
lead instructor, Teagan Jendro at email@example.com
Western Trout School Itinerary
9:00 - 9:15: Registration
9:15 - 10:30: Intro to fly rods, reels, fly lines
- Parts of a fly rod (different sizes, applications, flex’s, and how to choose a rod) types and applications of fly reels, fly line types and tapers
10:30 - 12:00: Basics of fly casting
- The basic fly cast including back and forward cast, the importance of the straight-line path and forming loops
12:00 - 12:30: Lunch
12:30 - 1:30: Line hand, false cast, roll cast
- Line control using the rod hand, 3-reasons to false cast, reasons to use and how to make the roll cast.
1:30 - 3:00: Entomology & trout flies
- Aquatic insects and trout diet in western trout streams and flies to imitate these trout foods.
3:00 - 4:00: hands-on knot tying
- Leader to tippet knots, how to attach a fly, and other common fly fishing knots.
4:00 - 5:00: Additional fly fishing gear, leaders & tippet
- Important streamside tools, and other necessary gear for a fun successful day on the water.
8:00 - 9:00 Fish fighting and fishing from a drift boat demo
Full day instructional guided fly fishing trip with the Bozeman fly fishing guide staff at Fins & Feathers on either the Yellowstone or Madison rivers.
Reserve your spot or learn more about the Western Trout
School at Fins & Feathers of Bozeman by emailing our Outreach
Director and Lead Fly Fishing Instructor, Teagan Jendro at firstname.lastname@example.org