Mother’s Day Caddis Watch
The Mother’s Day Caddis hatch will be here sooner than any of us realizes. This year, with a spring that is hesitant to crawl out of that dark cave of winter, the magic little bugs will be here and gone before most of us have our ski’s packed away for the summer. So, consider this your call to attention and notice to be on alert in the weeks ahead (maybe even next week). Our Bozeman fly shop is bustling with new arrivals and the best fly lineup in our nearly 20 years!
Here are 5 Things to Keep in Mind:
- If the temperature gets sunny and warm (like 70’s) for a few days in the next week or two, the Caddis will start on the Yellowstone and lower Madison rivers.
- The Yellowstone will most likely blow out a day or two after the hatch starts, so plan on skipping work sometime soon as those first days on the Yellowstone are the best.
- The lower Madison bite during the Hatch is always best on warm, cloudy days with the late, warm evenings on sunny days being the next best choice.
- Peacock bodied flies are always at the top of my list.
- If you have ever owned Henry’s Sinket, this is the time to coat those soft hackles and fish them below a dry!