As you prepare for your guided fly-fishing trip with Fins & Feathers of Bozeman, here are a few gear suggestions to help you prepare for your trip.
As you prepare for your guided fly-fishing trip with Fins & Feathers of Bozeman, here are a few gear suggestions to help you prepare for your trip. If you need help with finding the right piece of gear, whether it’s a shirt with sun protection or a new fly rod, our fly shop is fully stocked with everything you need.
Our guided trips include complimentary use of our rods, reels, waders and wading boots during the guide trip. You are welcome to use our gear during your trip, please be sure to let us know in advance if you will be requiring use of our gear. All trips include non-alcoholic drinks and full day trips include a deli lunch with sandwiches, chips, and a light side, Most of our trips are conducted out of drift boats with plenty of storage for your gear packed in a small bag.
- Polarized Sunglasses with a Copper or Amber tinted lens (avoid grey if possible)
- Hat for sun protection
- Buff or Sun Mask for sun protection
- Gloves (sun gloves during the warm seasons and fleece for the cold months)
- Clothing layers including a base-layer, midweight fleece, and insulated jacket (weather dependent)
- Light-weight, breathable pants offers protection from biting insects and the summer sun
- Tops with UPF protection and built in hoods are highly recommended during the summer.
- Neoprene Socks/Booties if you intend to use our wading boots for wet wading
- Rain Jacket and Pants for the summer months.
- Sunscreen, Insect Repellant, and Sanitary Wipes/Sanitizer
- Medications and prescriptions (including Epi-Pens!)
- Snacks like granola bars, chips, and fruit that you would like to have during the day.
- A small bag or backpack to keep your belongings handy and organized
- A medium – fast action 9’ fly rod in 5 or 6 weight is the standard we rely on day in and day out for most of our fishing conditions.
- Reels with an adjustable drag are preferred and helpful with fighting large fish from a drift boat
- A weight forward floating fly line matched to your rod.