Learn Fly Fishing Fundamentals
Centrally located in Bozeman, the Fins & Feathers trout schools are an ideal choice for a western fly-fishing education experience. The Western Trout School program is a two-day course focused on the fundamentals of the sport, combining both classroom and on-the-water sessions. Fins & Feathers has been teaching people how to fly-fish in Bozeman for 20 years and we are excited to offer this option as the most complete 2-Day Fly Fishing School in Montana.
- Class size limited to 8 participants per session.
- Classroom venue varies based on time of year, generally near Bozeman with lodging options available on-site.
- All gear is included during the course, participants will need to provide the basics like weather-appropriate clothing, polarized sunglasses, hats, and a small pack for personal items.
- Lunches and non-alcoholic drinks are included both days.
- Cost is $650 per student, minimum class size 4 and max size is 8 students
- Payment in full due upon registration, fully refundable with 90 days cancellation or if we are able to fill cancellations with new reservations.
- Fishing licenses and gratuities for instructors and guides are not included.
Western Trout School Itinerary
9:00 - 9:15: Registration
9:15 - 10:30: Intro to fly rods, reels, fly lines
- Parts of a fly rod (different sizes, applications, flex’s, and how to choose a rod) types and applications of fly reels, fly line types and tapers
10:30 - 12:00: Basics of fly casting
- The basic fly cast including back and forward cast, the importance of the straight-line path and forming loops
12:00 - 12:30: Lunch
12:30 - 1:30: Line hand, false cast, roll cast
- Line control using the rod hand, 3-reasons to false cast, reasons to use and how to make the roll cast.
1:30 - 3:00: Entomology & trout flies
- Aquatic insects and trout diet in western trout streams and flies to imitate these trout foods.
3:00 - 4:00: hands-on knot tying
- Leader to tippet knots, how to attach a fly, and other common fly fishing knots.
4:00 - 5:00: Additional fly fishing gear, leaders & tippet
- Important streamside tools, and other necessary gear for a fun successful day on the water.
8:00 - 9:00 Fish fighting and fishing from a drift boat demo
- Full day instructional guided fly fishing trip with the Bozeman fly fishing guide staff at Fins & Feathers on either the Yellowstone or Madison rivers.
Reserve your spot or learn more about the Western Trout School at Fins & Feathers of Bozeman by emailing our Outreach Director and Lead Fly Fishing Instructor, Teagan Jendro at email@example.com
This truly “immersive” experience covers the basics of the sport while also giving firsthand experience to students on a Montana river for a full day of instructional, guided fly-fishing. Classroom activities include basic entomology, knot -tying, an overview of essential gear, and thorough casting experience. We jump in the drift boats on day two with our instructors and fly-fishing guides to put everything we cover into action. Our goal is to introduce our students to the essential elements of fly-fishing for trout so that they will be able to find success on their own wherever their angling pursuits take them
The Fins & Feathers Western Trout School is offered at select times throughout the year in Bozeman, Montana. Day one is a combination of classroom and “dry-land” casting techniques to prepare students for success on the water. On-the-water days are on either the Madison or Yellowstone rivers with topics that cover a wide range of tactics while fishing alongside out team of instructors/guides. Our program is unique in that it offers a comprehensive introduction combined with the opportunity to apply those lessons on a Montana river with a professional instructor at your side for an entire day.
To learn more to reserve a spot in the Western Trout School at Fins & Feathers, simply email our Outreach Director and lead instructor, Teagan Jendro at firstname.lastname@example.org